TEACHING POSTURE FOR FUNCTION for CHILDREN with SENSORIMOTOR IMPAIRMENTS
An NDT Based Course for Pediatric Therapists
Hosted By: Ability Plus Therapy
Suggested Audience: PTs, PTAs, OTs, OTAs, SLPs and SLPAs.
Dates of Course: November 11-12, 2017
Instructor: Kacy Hertz, PT, C/NDT
CE Contact Hrs: 14.5 approved by PT and OT boards; 14.0 approved by SLP board. 14.5 pending for ASHA’s approval.
This course provides update of NDT and current integration of theory and practice. Also, a brief update of the ICF assessment model and treatment planning. An in depth look at postural control and anticipatory postural control will be covered, along with the ability and technique for teaching posture through movement and exercise to promote functional skills. Being able to function in upright and talk, breath and use your hands is an important aspect of functional tasks. Functional tasks will be analyzed and treatment plans developed and explored through LAB and practicum or demonstrations. This course is appropriate for Occupational Therapists, Occupational Therapy Assistants, Physical Therapists, Physical Therapist Assistants, Speech-Language Pathologists and Speech-Language Pathology Assistants.
The participant will:
1) Understand an update of NDT and its application to assessment and treatment planning.
2) Understand and problem solve the NDT model of assessment (ICF) with an emphasis on posture and how it relates to children with CNS impairments.
3) Be able to create postural and functional goals and treatment plans for specific tasks for children with CNS impairments.
4) Understand and execute handling concepts as they apply to posture and function and be able to integrate them into treatment sessions with discipline specific functional goals.
5) Be exposed to therapeutic adjuncts and practice their use and how they integrate into patient care.
8:30-9:30 NDT Update, New definition
9:30-10:30 ICF Model of Assessment and how to assess posture and alignment related to functional skills
10:45-12:00 What is anticipatory postural control? Can we teach it?
1:00-2:00 LAB for abdominal exercise and Postural Control
2:00-3:15 Integration into functional skills and UE use
4:30-5:00 Discussion of Practicum and questions
8:30-10:00 Thoracic Extension, Ribcage mobility and abdominal activity
10:15-12:00 LAB for abdominal exercise, ribcage mobility and thoracic extension
1:00-2:00 The Lower Extremity/The Upper Extremity-how to add it into function
2:00-3:15 LAB for LE exercise and Connecting the LE/UE to the Trunk
4:30-5:30 Discussion/Case Examples/Problem Solving and Putting it all together!
Click here to view the course brochure.
To Register, please fill in the form below: